Top LPN Programs in Maine
Maine LPN Schools and License Requirements, Salary, and Job Outlook
The state with rocky coastline and beaches ensures the safety of its citizens by empowering the health care industry. The government has issued several policies that are targeted towards the well-being of the public. The nursing industry in the state hires qualified nurses who provide assistance to the people in need and take better care of them. Those individuals, who look forward to provide care and wish to safeguard the health of the community, can join the nursing industry. Licensed practical nursing is a profession that offers numerous job opportunities to the aspirants.
LPNs work under the supervision of an RN or physician. The main job of an LPN is to lift up the patients, dress their wounds, give medication, and make them feel comfortable. Another desirable trait in an LPN is the physical strength as they have to stand for long hours to serve their patients. Practical Nurses should possess good communication skills as they need to interact with the patients. Students who have made up their mind to step into this career must enroll for an LPN course. The state of Maine does not have many accredited nursing schools. There is only one college that runs an LPN course. Its details are given below.
Intercoast Career Institute
Type of Course:Certificate
Intercoast Career Institute is the only accredited LPN school in Maine. The quality of education delivered by the institute makes it one of the best nursing schools in the country. The college also provides online classes to help those who wish to continue studies, but are entangled in a busy routine or a full-time job. It trains the students so that they can work in areas related to medical, legal, technology, business, and computer professions. Along with work-related skills and knowledge, the college inculcates interpersonal communication skills and discipline in the students. This institute consists of experienced faculty that grooms the students and enhances their skills, preparing them for a better future.
Note – At present, this college is not offering Vocational Nursing program for new students.
NCLEX-PN Pass Rate:
207 Gannett Drive South, Portland, Maine 04106
Type of Course:
Licensure by Examination
After the successful completion of an LPN program, the students are required to sit for licensure test. Obtaining a license is necessary as the profession is full of responsibilities and if practiced by anyone who is not competent enough, it can cause harm to the public. NCLEX-PN tests the skills acquired by an LPN during the year-long program. In order to gain the license, follow the procedure given below.
- The applicants are required to fill the application form that costs $75.
- Next, the candidates must register with Pearson Vue, the agency that is responsible for conducting the licensure test. The registration cost may amount to $200.00.
- The license agency would then mail an ATT (Authorization to Test) to the candidate. ATT is an important document (containing the expiration date, identification number, and authorization number) that enables the candidate to schedule a date and venue of the exam. The expiration date indicates the time span in which the applicant should take the test, failure of which would lead to cancellation of the application form.
- In order to attain the licensure, the candidate should fill the application form and register with the Pearson Vue again.
Maine Nurse Aide Registry keeps the record of all the LPNs who have a valid nurse license. At any time, the nursing license verification in Maine can be carried out through the registry.
Out-of-State LPNs (License by Endorsement)
The state allows the out-of-state nurses to practice through endorsement. Those nurses who have an active LPN license in the other state can apply for endorsement. This process would issue a license in Maine, and the other license would not be valid as the LPN can not hold two active licenses at a particular time. For endorsement, following things are required.
- An application for endorsement needs to be filled in detail, notarized with a signature.
- Registration on Pearson Vue for the licensure test.
- A transcript from the graduating school that proves the eligibility of the candidate.
- A 2"x2" passport size photograph that has been signed and dated.
- A fee of $50.
- Verification of the current license obtained from the state of original licensure.
The application remains valid for 2 years, after which, it is considered invalid by the board, and a new application has to be submitted with the fees.
However, the candidate is allowed to practice in the state for 90 days with a temporary permit if s/he meets any of the following conditions:
- Holds an active license in any other state.
- Submit an evidence of the current license (active in any other state) to the employer.
- For employment, it is necessary that the nurses should have an official receipt from the board of nursing and must have submitted the completely filled application along with the fee.
Those candidates, who have completed their education in a foreign country and held a license there, can also apply for the license by giving the NCLEX-PN test.
The candidates must meet the following criteria to qualify for the licensure test.
- Should have a valid social security number.
- The candidate should have completed the 4-year state approved high school course or its equivalent.
- Submit verification of the original license. The licensing agency should send the information directly to the board.
- The aspirants must request the LPN school to send their record directly to the board, describing the theory and clinical experience.
- Submit a completely filled and notarized application along with all the above-mentioned documents.
Maine Nursing License Renewal
The LPN license expires after a duration of two years. In Maine, it expires on the birthday of the nurse. The LPNs should keep the board updated with any change in the address so as to receive notifications. Generally, the nurses are reminded two weeks prior to the date of expiration. The renewal charges are $50. Anyone who is practicing in the state without a valid license is punishable by the law.
If the nurse wishes to activate the lapsed license, s/he can get it done by sending a mail inquiring about the reinstatement procedure at [email protected] or calling on 207-287-9946. The process would require the social security number or license number.
Salary of the Licensed Practical Nurse in Maine
According to indeed.com, the average salary of a licensed practical nurse in Maine was $45,000 as of October 18, 2016. This might differ from area to area.
Various Job Titles for LPN/LVN with Average Annual Salaries
|Long Term Care LPN
|Renal Dialysis Nurse
|Nurse RN LPN
|CNA Medical Surgical
|Nar Nursing Assistant Hope
|Clinical Nurse LPN
|LPN Primary Care
|Patient Care Technician Student
|Medical Assistant Family Practice
|Correctional Prison Facility LPN
|LPN Cma Rma
|LPN Long Term Care
Information Source: indeed.com
As per the information provided by indeed.com, the Psychiatric Nurse made maximum earnings, i.e., $51,000, whereas Patient Care Technician Student earned the least, i.e., $15,000.
Salary of LPN/LVN in Different Cities of Maine
|Name of the City
Information Source: salary.com
With $46,511, the LPNs earned the maximum salary in South Portland, Biddeford, Portland, Westbrook, Windham, and Saco. LPNs were paid least (i.e., $40,496) in Augusta.
Job Outlook for Licensed Practical Nurses in Maine
As per the prediction of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the LPNs would witness a growth in the jobs, in the coming years. They have bright prospects as the country is facing a shortage of the nurses. As per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average employment for LPNs in Maine was 2.25 per 1000 jobs (as of May 2015). Since these professionals are in demand, employers offer flexible timings and incentives to motivate the nursing aspirants to join the workforce. Moreover, completing an LPN course is easier and cheaper as most of the colleges provide scholarships and education loan up to a certain extent.