Top Skills Needed in Practical Nursing
Practical Nurses play a vital role in the healthcare system. They are required to manage patients and stay committed to their daily job under the supervision of registered nurses and Doctors. They analyze and help the patients to cope up with their problems. The look into the problems of the patients and make a proper effective care plan for them. They also mentor their patients and educate them about medications and the recovery process. LPNs work in work settings such as nursing centers, medical centers, hospitals, and outpatient clinics.
The LPN skills vary with the specific job but there are various common skills and professional abilities needed in practical nursing. The foremost skill of LPN’s is that they should be compassionate towards patients and develop strong communication skills. They should be ready to work tirelessly in the event of any emergency and deliver their 100 percent while treating any patient. They should closely keep track of patient and provide real-time report to their supervisors. While applying for an LPN job, individuals must carefully read the job description and find the needed mandatory skills for the concerned job.
The skill set for the Licensed Practical Nurses have been listed below. These skills can be used in developing resumes, cover letters, and job interviews. The required skills may vary as per the job type and the position. So, it is advised that you must carefully check the job posts.
1. Communication Skills: LPNs work in teams and communication is very important in order to execute tasks at a faster pace and become team players. They work closely with patients and mentor them while the treatment goes on. They also educate their family and advise them to keep patience. They should be able to understand the details of the patient and deliver the clear information to the registered nurses who make the health care plan for the patients.
2. Decision-Making Skills: It is one of the important skills of LPNs. In the hour of emergency, the LPNs must deliver quick response with ultimate decision making skill. The decision-making skill develops confidence in their work and team. In order to perform effective and compulsory procedures, decision-making skills come into action.
3. Detail-Oriented: Practical nurses should be focused, agile and detail-oriented. During the treatment process of the patients, LPNs are responsible for diagnosing and provide medications. They should report the diagnosis report to the concerned doctor. A single mistake can cause severe risk to the life of the patient. In this field, a minor detail is of great value. They are supposed to take instructions from the doctors and follows them in a perfect manner.
4. Critical Thinking: The nurses are responsible for the implementation of nursing interventions through a clinical care plan. They use their nursing education and experience to recognize the problems of the patient. Through critical thinking, practical nurses should be self-sufficient and adaptive to changes and situations. Critical thinking skill makes the nurses to take appropriate decision in the midst of an emergency like situation.
5. Computer Skills: The computer skills play a vital role in the profession of practical nursing. There are various data that needs to be stored in the computers. The computers are used to maintain accurate patient records and reports. The major documentation work is done with the help of computers.
6. Motor skills: The professionals must be well versed woth the motor skills in order to deliver effective nursing care. Thet should be able to use and calibrate equipments including insert catheters, manipulate intravenous equipment, administer injections, position and transport patients.
7. Time Management Skills: Nurses are required to monitor every patient equally and give each of them equal time and attention. Good time management makes things happen more quickly and neatly. The execution of tasks occurs smoothly and efficiently.
8. Supervisory Skills: Nurses work in teams and other medical staff. In order to maintain a health professional team environment, individuals must have supervisory skills that help in monitoring the situation and learn the small inputs from other team members.
9. Clinical Skills: The clinical skills include identifying problems of patients based on indicators like skin color, pulse, blood pressure. They tend to take utmost care of the patients in the clinical setting. LPNs use their knowledge and skills garnered during their nursing program to perform duties with confidence.
10. Non-clinical Skills: LPNs assist with some activities such as dressing, eating, physical exercise, restroom visits as long as the patient is into the care of the nurse. Nurses also deal with the emotional and chronic pain problems of the patient. They maintain accurate records of the patients. They must supervise nursing assistants and ensure best working environment.
11. Dedication and Patience: This is an essential trait of LPNs. This develops compassion and overcomes anxiety or cause of any misunderstanding. Patience helps the nurses to make right decisions. The dedicated nurses take proper care of the patients and provide them timely medicines as instructed by their supervisors. The true dedication towards the work determines success in this profession.
12. Responsible: Nurses should be responsible for their job. They should always be ready to face the questions of their supervisors. The activities of the nurses affect the patient.st be true to the patients and provide good assistance wherever required. A small mistake can be harmful to the patient. They are required to continuously monitor the health of the patient and provide required services. They are required to be alert during an emergency and provide best possible support at the time of need.
During the health care, many patients feel frustrated and start to panic. Therefore, it's the duty of the nurses to mentor the patients and provide them best possible information about their problem and its solution, The satisfaction of getting will must be reflected in the minds of the patients then only the nurse job can be said to be done perfectly. The practical nurses with good educational background understand the problems better than others. The individuals possessing above mentioned skills and traits are best fit for the nursing job. These skills are mandatory if anyone is aspiring to become a successful nurse in future. In case you miss some of the skills, don't be sad. As it's never too late to start over. If these skills are incorporated in the right direction then no one can stop you from being a successful nurse.
Visit here for Interview practice tips and suggestions.